This page has moved to a new address.

GOLD STANDARD: OmniPod Insulin Management System

<www.diabetes24-7.blogspot.com>

19 May 2009

GOLD STANDARD: OmniPod Insulin Management System


I desperately want an OmniPod. The tethering of the Medtronic insulin line has lost its appeal; I no longer fancy being perceived as the bionic woman whose wires have popped.

But I live in Hong Kong, and access is a problem.  The real irony here is I AM SURE parts for the OmniPod come from China. Ahem. Here is a quote from the Insulet's Corporations Press team, dated March 16, 2009.

the concentration of substantially all of Insulet's manufacturing capacity at a single location in China and substantially all of Insulet's inventory at a single location in Massachusetts;

And last year from Duane M. DeSisto – President, Chief Executive Officer & Director
Looking ahead to 2008, our plan is to invest in the business both in the manufacturing and sales and marketing infrastructure. As we continue to see our manufacturing capacity in China come on line successfully we will invest in additional capabilities that will allow us to exceed our original manufacturing production goals.

Care and access have been difficult in the other countries where I have lived (UK, Italy), but China is the worst of the three.  And I suppose I am amused by this.  Everything is made in China.  So while companies work hard to get affordable (international) labor/international contracts, they struggle in acquiring international distribution lines. Here is my most recent correspondence:

Dear Insulet/OmniPod Executive

I live in Hong Kong, but I am an American citizen here for a contract term of 2 years. I currently use a Medtronic Insulin Pump, and have for 10 years. I would like to make a change and have been authorized to purchase a new one from my insurer. Is it possible for me to become an OmniPod user here in Hong Kong? I hope so.

Look forward to hearing from you.
***************

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for your interest in the OmniPod System. We are working hard
on introducing the product around the world but at current time,
Insulet Corporation cannot market outside the US or ship product outside the
US. We will keep you informed about our progress in Asia.

Best Regards,

-Jxxxx

Insulet Corporation
www.insulet.com

It occurs to me and always has that the USA Market offers the best diabetes product support, and it is a bitter pill to swallow waiting for technology to circle the globe.  

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to Insulet, the pods are now all made in China by Flextronics. Insulet has just received CE Mark recently, so we are waiting for it in Europe as well. Hopefully it should be available by early next year. The issue of availability around the world is due both to required approvals by local authorities as well as capacity -it is a small company after all. I agree it is better than anything else on the market right now, but the two other major manufacturers Medtronic and Animas both have said that they will have patch pumps out relatively quickly (next year?)

Titos

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home